STALLER CENTER TECHNICAL INFORMATION
The following addresses are for TECHNICAL CONTACT ONLY. Any other inquiries
will not be answered.
New Directions to theatre loading dock:
- Long Island
Expressway (interstate 495) East (from New York City - Midtown Tunnel) to EXIT
62 : Nicholls Road
(county road 97) Take Nicolls
Road (CR 97) NORTH toward Stony Brook.
- After 6.3 miles on
Nicolls Road north you will have passed Suffolk County Community
College, Route 25 (Jericho Tpke.), and you will come to Route 347
(Nesconset Highway). Route 347 is the first really major intersection,
with at least 5 lanes in all four directions.
- After Route 347
proceed 2.2 miles passing two traffic lights. The second light is the
1ST (south) entrance to the Stony Brook campus and the University Hospital.
Pass this entrance.
- At the third traffic
light is the second (and the main) campus entrance. On both sides of
the road there is a white sign stating "Stony Brook - main
entrance". Make this left. At the traffic light turn right and
then make the next left onto John
Toll Dr. (maybe 50 yards from the traffic
- The road curves
slightly to the left. After the grey wall on the left you will see three
ramps/loading areas next to one another. pass all of these. On
the left you will see a tall windowless brown brick extension of a
building (looks rather like a fly loft). Pull into the next loading
dock on left (immediately after the large windowless brown brick
building segment close to the road). This is the Staller Center
theatre loading dock.
If you come to the stop sign you have gone 50 yards too far.
- If you get lost, but are
on the campus, ask directions for the Student Union building, the front of
which is across the street from our loading area on John Toll Dr. If you ask for
directions to the Staller
Center that will
probably get you to the front of the building; likely not where you
want to be...
- Staller Center
offices are on the second floor, above the lobbies.
- If you feel you must
use a GPS enter coordinates North 4054.985’ West 07307.286’ or try
the cross streets of Stadium
Road and John S. Toll Drive. We DO NOT HAVE A TYPICAL ADDRESS AND YOU
WILL END UP AT THE STONY BROOK TRAIN STATION.
- Stony Brook is
about a 2 hour drive from New
York City in average conditions. absolute
best case 1 hour, in rush hour maybe 4 hours or more.
MAIN THEATRE TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
Basic information is provided here. A more verbose version with all the
gruesome details is also available
And there is a page with no information about the space, just equipment inventory
- Theater Pictures
- Seating capacity:
- Proscenium is 46' 4" wide and 29'
- Depth: 25'
- Height: stage floor to grid is 62' -
5" battens grid around 57'
- Wing space: Assuming a playing area
opening (drape to drape) of about 40' (our typical) then the remaining
wing space completely offstage of the legs is:
- Stageleft: 11' to the fly rail.
- Stageright: 14' give or take a foot
for items on the wall.
- Loading dock:
- Located stageright.
- Height: 51"
- 3 separate company switches are available.
- Each panel (or company switch) provides a 3 phase, 400 Amp, 120/208
Volt, 5 wire service.
- Located on stageright.
- Cam-lok only. No bare wire leads.
- (1) Emphasis running ETC Insight 3 control console.
- Dimmer per circuit.
- Instrument inventory (including normally hung units) :
- ETC Source 4:
- (60) 36 Degree (6X9)
- (40) 26 Degree (6x12)
- (40) 19 Degree ; all are normally hung
on first bridge and in first slot.
- (30) 10 Degree ; all are normally hung
on second bridge and in second slot.
- (30) Altman 8" fresnels - 1 KW
- (65) PAR 64 cans - 1 KW WFL MFL NSP or VNSP lamps available
- (8) 4 Circuit farcycs - 500 W per cell,
all are normally hung on permanent electric #2 (line set C)
- (2) Lycian Super Arc 400 followspots -
- Mixing console:
- (1) Allen and Heath GL-4000 : 24
Channel (4 stereo) in, 8 main out, 10 aux sends, 11x4 matrix, et cetera.
- (1) Denon C680 CD player
- (2) Nakamichi DR-3 cassette decks
- 1 Rane GE-60 2 channel 1/3 octave
- 1 Lexicon MPX1 effects processor
- 1 Sabine FBX-900 "feedback
- (1) "Main Cluster" (Altec)
permanent full range mono speaker system for house, located above stage
- (2) Turbosound TXD-580 (full range,
additional house coverage, portable)
- (4) Klipsch KSM-1 (wedge stage
- 6 channels McIntosh power amplifiers.
- 21 lines available from stage to mixing position (9 of them right or
left, 12 from stageright only)
- Intercom system:
- clear com MS-200 main station
- sufficient equipment for up to 10 wired
- Telex Radiocom BTR-300 wireless base
station interfaced to wired system.
- sufficient equipment for up to 2
· Fly system:
- For a lineset schedule click here
- The fly rail is located stage left
- Total number of linesets: 41 (includes 2 electrics on winch motors,
excludes fire curtain)
- Manual lineset arbor capacity (in
addition to pipe weight): approximately 850 lbs
- Linesets "B" and
"C" are winch driven and have a maximum load capacity of 1200
- Total weight available (in addition to
that normally in use): approximately 5200 pounds.
- Distribution: approximately on 6"
centers unless noted.
- Construction: 1.5" black pipe. All
battens comprise at least two sections of pipe joined with an internal
black pipe sleeve
- Linesets "B" and
"C" are welded 1.5" and 1.25" pipe in a somewhat
triangular-trapezoid truss configuration (see section)
- Out trims: (height above stage floor
- Linesets 1 through 38 grid at 57' give
or take a few inches.
- Lineset 39 grids at 58' - 7"
- Linesets "B" and
"C" grid at 49' 6" (see section)
- Linesets B and C (winched electrics)
are 49' 8" long
- Manual lineset system pipes vary from
51' to 56' ; only 3 are shorter than 53'.
· Soft goods:
- (1) Main curtain: grape manual
guillotine (located on line 1)
- (1) Black velour traveler: (located on
line 36) usually used as most upstage pair of legs in open position, and
may be closed for full black backing.
- Normally hung:
- (4) Pair of black velour legs:
tormentors are 28' x 9' ; #1 and #2 are 28' x 16' ; #3 are 28' x 12'
- (4) Black velour borders: 10' x 60'
- (1) Seamless sky blue cyclorama:
(located on line 39) 55' x 32'
- Also available:
- Sharkstooth scrims (30' x 60'):
- One each: Black, Sky blue, Dark blue
- One full stage black velour flat curtain
in two panels: each is 28'H x 30'W
- (2) Legs 16' x 36'
- (2) Legs 12' x 28'
- (2) Borders 10' x 60'
· Dressing rooms:
- all dressing rooms are at least 2 floors below stage level
- 2 Chorus rooms, each holding up to 16 people
- 2 Midsize rooms, each holding up to 8 people
- 3 Small rooms, each holding up to 4 people
- There is an equipped wardrobe room located in the dressing room
- There is a green room located one level below stage level, between
stageright and dressing rooms.
- Note: Not all dressing rooms are available for all productions.
Please discuss dressing room requirements well in advance of your