STALLER CENTER TECHNICAL INFORMATION
The following addresses are for TECHNICAL CONTACT ONLY. Any other inquiries will
not be answered.
phone: (631) 632-7236
phone: (631) 632-7249
Snail mail address:
Center for the Arts room 2031
SUNY at Stony Brook
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5425
Fax machine number:
Directions to the Staller
Center Stage door and loading dock from the LIE (495)
(interstate 495) East (from New York City - Midtown Tunnel) to EXIT 62
: Nicholls Road (county road 97) Take Nicholls Road (CR 97) NORTH
toward Stony Brook.
After 6.3 miles
on Nicholls Road North you
will come to Route 347
Cross over Route
347 proceed 2.2 miles passing two traffic lights.
The second light is the 1ST (south) entrance to the Stony
this entrance. DO NOT TURN!!
MAIN ENTRANCE to the campus.
LEFT onto Shirley Kenny Drive.
At the next
traffic light turn right onto Circle Road
the next left onto John Toll Dr. (maybe 50
yards from the traffic light).
The road curves slightly to the left. After the grey wall on the
left you will see three ramps/loading areas next to one another.
pass all of these. On the left you will see a tall
windowless brown brick extension of a building (looks
rather like a fly loft). Pull into the next loading dock on left
(immediately after the large windowless
brown brick building segment close to the road). This is the Staller
Center theatre loading dock.
Very Important to
NOT to turn at the 1st entrance of the university.
If GPS is used, you
may be directed to park at the front of the building, please follow the
directions above ....
Stony Brook is about
a 2 hour drive from New York City
in average conditions. absolute best case 1 hour, in rush hour maybe 4
hours or more.
MAIN THEATRE TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
Basic information is provided here. A more verbose version with all the gruesome
details is also available
And there is a page with no information about the space, just equipment inventory
- Theater Pictures
- Seating capacity:
- Proscenium is 46' 4" wide and 29' 10"
- Depth: 25'
- Height: stage floor to grid is 62' - 5"
battens grid around 57'
- Wing space: Assuming a playing area
opening (drape to drape) of about 40' (our typical) then the remaining wing
space completely offstage of the legs is:
- Stageleft: 11' to the fly rail.
- Stageright: 14' give or take a foot for
items on the wall.
- Loading dock:
- Located stageright.
- Height: 51"
- 3 separate company switches are available.
- Each panel (or company switch) provides a 3 phase, 400 Amp, 120/208
Volt, 5 wire service.
- Located on stageright.
- Cam-lok only. No bare wire leads.
- (1) ETC Ion control
- Dimmer per circuit.
- Instrument inventory (including normally hung units) :
- ETC Source 4:
- (60) 36 Degree (6X9)
- (40) 26 Degree (6x12)
- (40) 19 Degree ; all are normally hung
on first bridge and in first slot.
- (30) 10 Degree ; all are normally hung
on second bridge and in second slot.
- (30) Altman 8" fresnels - 1 KW
- (65) PAR 64 cans - 1 KW WFL MFL NSP or VNSP lamps available
- (8) 4 Circuit farcycs - 500 W per cell,
all are normally hung on permanent electric #2 (line set C)
- (2) Lycian Super Arc 400 followspots -
- Mixing console:
- (1) Allen and Heath GL-4000 : 24 Channel
(4 stereo) in, 8 main out, 10 aux sends, 11x4 matrix, et cetera.
- (1) Denon C680 CD player
- (2) Nakamichi DR-3 cassette decks
- 1 Rane GE-60 2 channel 1/3 octave
- 1 Lexicon MPX1 effects processor
- 1 Sabine FBX-900 "feedback exterminator"
- (1) "Main Cluster" (Altec) permanent
full range mono speaker system for house, located above stage apron.
- (2) Turbosound TXD-580 (full range,
additional house coverage, portable)
- (4) Klipsch KSM-1 (wedge stage monitors,
- 6 channels McIntosh power amplifiers.
- 21 lines available from stage to mixing position (9 of them right or
left, 12 from stageright only)
- Intercom system:
- clear com MS-200 main station
- sufficient equipment for up to 10 wired
- Telex Radiocom BTR-300 wireless base
station interfaced to wired system.
- sufficient equipment for up to 2
· Fly system:
- For a lineset schedule click here
- The fly rail is located stage left
- Total number of linesets: 41 (includes 2 electrics on winch motors,
excludes fire curtain)
- Manual lineset arbor capacity (in
addition to pipe weight): approximately 850 lbs
- Linesets "B" and "C" are winch driven
and have a maximum load capacity of 1200 pounds.
- Total weight available (in addition to
that normally in use): approximately 5200 pounds.
- Distribution: approximately on 6"
centers unless noted.
- Construction: 1.5" black pipe. All
battens comprise at least two sections of pipe joined with an internal black
- Linesets "B" and "C" are welded 1.5" and
1.25" pipe in a somewhat triangular-trapezoid truss configuration (see
- Out trims: (height above stage floor
- Linesets 1 through 38 grid at 57' give
or take a few inches.
- Lineset 39 grids at 58' - 7"
- Linesets "B" and "C" grid at 49' 6"
- Linesets B and C (winched electrics)
are 49' 8" long
- Manual lineset system pipes vary from
51' to 56' ; only 3 are shorter than 53'.
· Soft goods:
- (1) Main curtain: grape manual
guillotine (located on line 1)
- (1) Black velour traveler: (located on
line 36) usually used as most upstage pair of legs in open position, and may
be closed for full black backing.
- Normally hung:
- (4) Pair of black velour legs:
tormentors are 28' x 9' ; #1 and #2 are 28' x 16' ; #3 are 28' x 12'
- (4) Black velour borders: 10' x 60'
- (1) Seamless sky blue cyclorama:
(located on line 39) 55' x 32'
- Also available:
- Sharkstooth scrims (30' x 60'):
- One each: Black, Sky blue, Dark blue
- One full stage black velour flat curtain
in two panels: each is 28'H x 30'W
- (2) Legs 16' x 36'
- (2) Legs 12' x 28'
- (2) Borders 10' x 60'
· Dressing rooms:
- all dressing rooms are at least 2 floors below stage level
- 2 Chorus rooms, each holding up to 16 people
- 2 Midsize rooms, each holding up to 8 people
- 3 Small rooms, each holding up to 4 people
- There is an equipped wardrobe room located in the dressing room area.
- There is a green room located one level below stage level, between
stageright and dressing rooms.
- Note: Not all dressing rooms are available for all productions.
Please discuss dressing room requirements well in advance of your